From stains to tears, carpeting can run into a lot of trouble over the years. Another danger homeowners can encounter with their carpet is color loss. Although color loss is often caused by chemicals, it can also occur naturally over time. This post will cover everything you need to know about natural carpet color loss in South Amboy, NJ:
- Sun fading: The most common type of natural color loss is caused by the sun. Over time, carpeting near windows will begin to fade due to the sun’s harmful UV rays. Sun fading can also occur with upholstered furniture placed near windows. In drastic cases, carpeting near southwest-facing windows can begin to lose its color in as little as six months. For this reason, it’s important to consider your flooring options near the windows in your home.
- Fume fading: Carpet can also naturally lose its color due to fume fading. This occurs when pollutants in the air react with dyes in the carpeting. Fume fading often occurs in areas with high levels of car exhaust, like in a big city. But this kind of natural carpet color loss in South Amboy, NJ can also be the result of fumes from pools or spas. If you have an indoor hot tub or pool, we don’t advise installing carpeting.
What can be done to prevent color loss?
So, can carpet naturally lose its color in South Amboy, NJ? Yes, it can. Luckily, color loss is easier to prevent than you might think! Here’s how you can prevent both natural and chemical color loss:
- Close the curtains: Besides not installing carpeting near windows, the only way to prevent sun fading is by keeping your curtains or blinds closed. If you really want to allow some natural light in, consider installing window film on your windows. Protective window treatments block UV rays from penetrating the glass, and they’re hardly noticeable if they’re installed correctly.
- Invest in fade-resistant carpeting: There isn’t much that can be done once your carpeting starts to fade—you’ll have to remove and replace it with new flooring. If you’re still interested in carpet, consider buying fade-resistant carpeting. As the name implies, fade-resistant carpets will last longer before they begin to fade or become discolored. Although this type of carpet may cost a bit more, it’s worth the investment.
- Watch how you clean it: Carpets can also fade or become discolored due to chemicals, mainly those found in some types of cleaners. Using a powerful carpet cleaner with the wrong pH value can permanently fade the carpeting, which is why you should avoid cleaning your carpet by yourself. Bringing in the pros to tackle heavy-duty cleaning ensures a sparkling-clean carpet that’s not going to become faded.
On top of knowing the answer to whether carpet can naturally lose its color in South Amboy, NJ, our team at Lov ‘N Kare Carpet Center can help prevent it. We only install the highest-quality carpeting, and we use the right cleaning agents to prevent chemical color loss. Reach out to us to learn more about our products and services!
Categorised in: Carpet
This post was written by Writer